The Other Side
Illustrated by E.B. Lewis
Two girls, Clover and Annie, become friends in a small, segregated town.
Where it takes place:
In a small rural town—I didn’t have a specific state in mind.
Where I wrote it:
Upstate in Olive, New York and at The Writer’s Room in Manhattan
Why I wrote it:
I wanted to write about how powerful kids can be. Clover and Annie fight against segregation by becoming friends. They don’t believe in the ideas adults have about things so they do what they can to change the world. We all have this power.
- ALA Notable
- Riverbank Review Children’s Book of Distinction
- Texas Blue Bonnet List
- School Library Journal Best Book
- Booklist Editor’s Choice
- New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing
- 2001 Time of Wonder Award
- IRA Teacher’s Choices 2002 (featured on covers of The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books, Booklist and The Baltimore Sun)
- 2004 Louisiana Young Reader’s Choice Award (Honor)
- 2003-2004 Pennsylvania Young Reader’s Choice Master List California Young Reader Medal Nominee
- 2003-2004 South Carolina Book Award Nominee
- Indiana (nominee)
- Michigan (honor)
- Texas (nominee)