Lonnie and his sister Lili are in foster care after the death of their parents. They live with separate families and this book is Lonnie’s letters to Lili that he writes to stay connected to her and as he says “to be the rememberer” while they are living separately.
Where it takes place:
Where I wrote it:
In Brooklyn and also parts were written on planes as I traveled.
Why I wrote it:
I wanted Lonnie and Lili to find peace – within themselves and in the bigger world. The book started out being about one kind of peace and then became about the many ways we search for and eventually all kinds of peace.
- SLJ Best Book
- Chicago Public Library’s Best of the Best Book
- New York (nominee)
- Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Master List for 2011-2012, Awarded by Florida State
- Tennessee Volunteer State Book Award
- Pennsylvania Young Reader’s Choice Awards
- Keystone to Reading Book Award
- North Carolina Children’s Book Award
- Kansas State Reading Circle
- Capitol Choices, Virginia
- Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award